24 Jul Mom’s turn for “Summer Break”
Back to School: The Mom Edition
For most of us it probably feels like Summer just began, but every mom is wondering whether it’s August yet, and is counting down the hours to the First Day of School. If your kiddos are in year round school, they may have already begun (if so, congrats to you), but if you’re still on the traditional calendar Summer likely becomes consumed with trips to the pool, family vacations (never really a vacation for Mom), and finding ways to entertain the kids.
It’s exhausting, and it can feel like you haven’t had even a second to yourself. So, in honor of the first day of school coming up we wanted to put together a list of our favorite little indulgences—we are full on encouraging you to steal back a little time for yourself. It’s Mom’s turn for “Summer Break.”
1. Schedule that trip to the salon. (I mean, DUH). We’re obviously a little biased, but going to the salon is one of our favorite escapes. There’s free wine, a scalp massage, and all the relaxation feels you need. Whether you’ve been putting off that much-needed trim, are ready to treat yourself to a new color, or just want to indulge in a shine glaze and blow out, your stylist is here for YASSSS!.
2. Buy yourself that latte. Whether you’re a Starbucks fan, or prefer your local coffeeshop (Oh hey, Sola Coffee Café), we are in full support of you pausing to sip on your favorite caffeinated beverage to help make it through the day. A little bit of deliciousness never hurt anyone, and we’ll be toasting you with our own macchiatos. *clink*
3. Take a nap. YES. I promise, nothing is going to fall apart if you spend a little bit of time catching up on the sleep we know you don’t get enough of. Whether it’s a quick little cat nap, or a bit of a longer snooze, getting an extra dose of sleep can help you feel refreshed to complete your day, and let’s be real—you DESERVE it.
4. Go for that walk, run, gym sesh you’ve been dying to squeeze in. We can always benefit from some extra endorphins floating through our brains, and when you’re busy doing all of the things, exercise is often the first to go. If you’re anything like us, you might drag your feet a bit about getting in that exercise when it feels like you’re constantly running from here to there, but afterwards ALWAYS feels better. (You really can’t discount those endorphins, y’all.)
5. Spend (at least) 30 minutes doing YOUR thing. Read a book, bake cookies, make that DIY project you pinned, go for a drive with the windows down—whatever it is that gives you your zen, do it! Our brains absolutely need time to recharge, and spending time doing what you love can allow your mind to do just that.
Trust us, we know how difficult it can be to find even five minutes to yourself. Especially if you’re a working mom, too. But we also know how absolutely vital it is for your mental health and personal happiness to take care of yourself and indulge every once in a while.
That’s why when the kids go back to school (or NOW if they already are) we are giving you some Garnish homework: Treat yo’ self. Pick one of the above, or all of the above, but commit to carving out some space for yourself. By the time the first day of school rolls around, you know you’ve DEFINITELY earned it!