22 Dec Garnish Recognizes National Blood Donor Month
January is National Blood Donor Month and Garnish Hair Studio recognizes the lifesaving contribution blood and platelet donors make to modern healthcare. Through the month of January Garnish will be honoring blood donors with a chance to win a $100 gift certificate. After you donate blood, bring your proof of donation (ask for a receipt after your donation) into Garnish, and we will then enter your name into the drawing. A winner will be picked at random on February 1st.
Donors with all blood types are needed, especially those with types AB, O, B negative and A negative. Help save lives by donating blood. Your blood donation could save your life or someone you care about!
Here are the important facts why donating blood is so important:
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 41,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- Sickle cell disease affects more than 70,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- More than 1.6 million people were diagnosed with cancer last year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.